Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas- I Finally Went to the Doctor

It's officially Christmas Eve, my favorite day of the year! Merry Christmas everyone! We are going to be enjoying our families over the next few days and I hope everyone has a fabulous holiday.

So, after a few more days of feeling so sick I finally went to the doctor. Nate and my mom ganged up on me and made me go. However, I am glad I went. Can I just say how much I love my doctor? Dr. Brockbank is the absolute best. So Nate drags me to the doctor and Dr. B talks to me and runs a urine test, and next thing I know I am laying there with some girl trying to start an IV in my arm (worst part of the day, pretty sure I don't want you poking around the same vein for 10 minutes, no joke, she ended up starting one in my wrist). Apparently I really was sick. I had tons of sugar in my urine and my blood sugar was really high. This can be a side effect of my PCOS, I had been on metformin, although it seems it wasn't doing it's job. The high blood sugars explains my nausea/vomiting, my sweats/chills, my extreme thirst and dry mouth, and my need to urinate every 5 minutes. After the IV and some nausea medicine I was already feeling a lot better. For the next few days I have to check my blood sugars at home and give myself insulin shots each night. I need to track my blood sugars and I see the doctor again Monday morning. As far as the lady pain goes, nothing major seems to be going on, just some cyst pain from the PCOS.

So yah, that's what is going on. I'm glad I went to the doctor. He said I would have just continued to get sicker and sicker. I already feel much improved. I had just been to see him early last week for my monthly med check so I felt kinda dumb showing up a week and a half later, but it seems I needed to go. Nate and my mom are happy. I feel more at ease knowing what is going on. Hopefully I can survive the shots, although the finger pokes hurt way more than the shots. I see Dr. Brockbank again Monday, but I am sure I will have nothing but good news then. Thank you all for the kind thoughts and well wishes, I really needed it. Merry Christmas!

P.S. Since this blog is about both Nate and me, though lately I have been talking a lot about myself, let's talk about Nate. Nate is doing really well. Work is going great for him, his health is good, he is growing a beard, and he is loving this new show called American Ninja Warrior. It is this crazy extreme obstacle course competition. In fact we are watching it right now at one in the morning. Check it out!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So glad to hear you went to the doctor and are starting to feel better! Hope you have a fabulous time with your families! Merry Christmas!

Luke and Tiff said...

Hi Kim. I'm glad you are feeling better. Good thing you were the best pct so you already knew how to check your blood sugar. Miss ya! Tiffany
Merry Christmas!

The Durfee Family said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better! We missed you today. It just wasn't the same without you. If you need anything, please don't hesitate. Have a good Christmas!